Housing Choice Voucher

The Housing Choice Voucher Program assists low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled in paying for decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market.

How the Process Works

When the waiting list is closed.

Participants are free to choose any housing that meets program requirements and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

Are You A Landlord?

About the Program

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by RHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

Housing Choice Vouchers are administered locally by RHA, who receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the program. You can find all information regarding the Housing Choice Voucher Program at HUD.

Income Limits

Payment Standards 2024



Energy Efficient Utility Allowance Schedules

Used for new construction or substantially rehabbed units built after November 1, 2016

Effective 11.1.2023




      Effective 11.1.2023 

      Current Participants

      Find Rental Housing

      RHA has partnered with www.GoSection8.com to list rental properties online.

      Potential Housing Choice Voucher participants can find apartment units, duplexes, single-family homes or townhomes on the private market. For questions regarding registering, creating or viewing listings, please contact GoSection8 toll-free at 1-866-466-7328

      View Listings


      Portability is the transfer process that enables Housing Choice Voucher holders to relocate and keep their voucher.

      The Housing Authority works with other Housing Authorities in the portability process in order to further increase a participant’s residential choice and mobility and encourage social and economic integration.

      Portability Request Form

      Family Self Sufficiency Program

      The Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS) is a voluntary five-year program for families participating in our HCV or Public Housing programs. The program helps families become financially independent.

      The main goal of the program is to help families get good jobs and earn enough money so they do not need public cash assistance. Families get referrals for education, job training, and other services.  The FSS Coordinator helps families define their goals and set up a plan to achieve them. Goals may include a good job, home ownership, college, and/or starting a business.

      The Housing Authority works with local agencies to help Housing Choice Voucher FSS families get the services they need to reach their goals. In addition, for many FSS families, if the family's income and rent share go up during the program, the PHA puts money in a special FSS escrow account. The family gets the money when they finish the program.

      How to Apply

      The Family Self Sufficiency Program is currently enrolling participants.

      If you are a CURRENT Housing Choice Voucher or Public Housing participant and would like to apply for the Family Self-Sufficiency Program, please fill out the application below and submit to Josie Alcaraz.


      If you have any questions, you can contact Josie at (530) 671-0220 ext. 140



      FSS Action Plan


      Applications can be found here when available.

      The Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is closed.


      Application Change Form

      Applicants on the waiting list must report all changes of address, income, preference and family composition in writing to the Housing Authority.

      If you are a current applicant, please use the following form to report a change.

      English Español

      Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA)

      Frequently Asked Questions

      • What if the owner wants me to move?

        If you are a Housing Choice Voucher participant, your owner may request that you move at the end of your lease term. If you receive a written notice to move, call your Housing Specialist who will advise you on the steps needed for you to move. It is very important for you to fulfill your lease obligations and pay your rent on time each month. If you violate any of your lease provisions, the owner may serve a notice for a lease violation(s), in which case you may no longer be eligible for the Program. Contact your Housing Specialist as soon as you receive any written notice from your landlord.
      • What if I want to move at the end of my lease?

        Before you can move to another unit and continue to receive your housing assistance, you must complete your tenant obligations under your current lease. This includes giving the property owner a proper notice to vacate and sending a copy of the notice to your Housing Specialist.
      • How long can I remain in the Housing Choice Voucher Program?

        Current program rules allow you to continue to receive housing assistance as long as you are income-eligible and as long as you fulfill your tenant obligations established by HUD for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. You will lose your assistance when your income rises to the point that your portion of the rent matches or exceeds the full amount of the rent, or if you are terminated from the Program for violating the rules.
      • What happens if my unit needs repairs?

        You should notify the owner immediately if your unit is in need of a repair.
      • What happens if my income or family composition changes after I begin receiving rental assistance?

        Whenever your income changes or you have a change in family composition (persons moving in or out of your household) you are required to report the change to the Housing Authority in writing within 10 days using an Application Change Form (above). The Housing Authority will determine if and when a change in rent is required and you will be notified in writing.
      • Does the Housing Authority pay my rental assistance to me or the property owner?

        The Housing Authority pays rental assistance to the owner on the first business day of each month. You must also pay your share of the rent each month directly to the owner. Failure to do so may lead to your termination from the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
      • What are Housing Quality Standards?

        Housing Quality Standards (HQS) are national minimum standards established by HUD to ensure that subsidized units are safe, decent and sanitary. The unit must pass the HQS inspection before your rent subsidy can begin. HQS include requirements such as all utilities (gas, electric, water) must be working, windows and doors must have locks that work, all plumbing fixtures must work and there are no leaks, and the unit is in good condition overall.
      • How much will my rent be?

        Your portion of rent paid to the owner is be based on a formula established by HUD and cannot exceed 40% of your adjusted monthly income.
      • What happens when you issue my Voucher?

        When you are issued a Voucher for rental assistance, you must attend a Voucher Briefing. Briefings are held at the Richland Neighborhood Center: 420 Miles Ave Yuba City, CA 95991. Staff will review the requirements of the program and provide valuable information to assist you in your housing search.
      • How long will it take for me to reach the top of the Housing Choice Voucher waiting list?

        It is not possible to predict how long it will take for someone to get to the top of the waiting list. The wait depends on the rate of turnover in the rental assistance programs and the level of funding made available by HUD. The waiting list is organized by preference points and names are selected in order of preference through a random lottery. The date and time of your application does not determine how long you will wait for assistance. In many cases, you may have to wait 5 or more years before your name will reach the top of the list.
      • How do I place my name on the Housing Choice Voucher waiting list?

        The Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is opened periodically on an as needed basis. When the waiting list is re-opened, a public announcement is placed in area newspapers and information posted on this website.
      • How can I get a Housing Choice Voucher or move in to a Housing Authority-owned apartment or house?

        All households in need of rental assistance at a privately-owned unit must first place their name on the Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher waiting list. When your name reaches the top of the list, you will be asked to complete an application so that your eligibility for the Housing Choice Voucher Program can be determined. If you want to move into a Housing Authority-owned apartment or house, check our rental listings or contact our office.
      • How does the Housing Authority help people in need of housing assistance?

        The Housing Authority can help by paying a portion of your rent directly to your landlord through the Housing Choice Voucher Program, this program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Another way the Housing Authority assists people is by making Housing Authority-owned apartments available to low-income households at an affordable rent.
      • What happens if I do not receive the application appointment letter?

        It is important for you to inform the Housing Authority of all address changes while your name is on the waiting list. If you fail to respond because you did not receive the letter or if the letter is returned as "undeliverable", the Housing Authority will proceed down the list and remove your name from the waiting list. If you have any changes, submit an Applicant Change Form (see above) within 10 days.
      • What happens when my name reaches the top of the waiting list?

        You will receive a letter informing you that your name has reached the top of the waiting list and that the Housing Authority is ready to begin the application process. You will be asked to complete a Personal Declaration Form and return it to our office along with various supporting documents.
      • How can I check my status on the waiting list?

        You may contact the Housing Authority front desk at (530) 671-0220 or Toll Free at (888) 671-0220 to check the status of your application. You will be told whether or not your application is ACTIVE on the waiting list. Since the waiting list is NOT organized by date and time, there is no way for the Housing Authority to provide you a "waiting list" number.

      You have the right to ask the Housing Authority to make a reasonable accommodation of any sort to make RHA programs accessible for you.

      To make such a request, please contact the Housing Authority at (530) 671-0220 or TTY (866) 735-2929, or 711. This document is available in alternative formats. Contact Pattra Runge, Section 504 Accessibility Coordinator at (530) 671-0220 ext. 124.