Housing Choice Voucher Applicants

Program Information

The Housing Choice Voucher Program is the federal government's major program for assisting low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. 

The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing Choice Vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

You can find all information regarding the Housing Choice Voucher Program please click the link below:



Project Based Voucher I-Maple Park - English

Project Based Voucher I-Maple Park - Spanish

Project Based Voucher Maple Park II - English

Project Based Voucher Maple II-Spanish

Supplement to Application-Optional Contact Person or Organization-English

Supplement to Application-Optional Contact Person or Organization-Spanish

Income Limits


Applicant Change Form

Applicants on the waiting list must report all changes of address, income, preference and family composition in writing to the Housing Authority.  If you are a current applicant, please use the following form to report a change.

HCV Application Change Form - English

HCV Application Change Form - Spanish

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How does the Housing Authority help people in need of housing assistance?
    The Housing Authority can help by paying a portion of your rent directly to your landlord through the Housing Choice Voucher Program, This program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
    Another way the Housing Authority assists people is by making Housing Authority-owned apartments available to low-income households at an affordable rent. 
  2. How can I get a Housing Choice Voucher or move in to a Housing Authority-owned apartment or house?
    All households in need of rental assistance at a privately owned unit must first place their name on the Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher waiting list. When your name reaches the top of the list, you will be asked to complete an application so that your eligibility for the Housing Choice Voucher Program can be determined.
    If you want to move into a Housing Authority-owned apartment or house, check our rental listings, or program links?
  3. How do I place my name on the Housing Choice Voucher waiting list?
    The Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is opened periodically on an as needed basis. When the waiting list is re-opened, a public announcement is placed in area newspapers and information posted on this website.
  4. How long will it take for me to reach the top of the waiting list?
    It is not possible to predict how long it will take for someone to get to the top of the waiting list. The wait depends on the rate of turnover in the rental assistance programs and the level of funding made available by HUD. The waiting list is organized by preference points and names are selected in order of preference through a random lottery. THE DATE AND TIME OF YOUR APPPLICATION DOES NOT DETERMINE HOW LONG YOU WILL WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE.  In many cases, you may have to wait 5 or more years before your name will reach the top of the List.
  5. How can I check my status on the waiting list?
    You can contact the Housing Authority front desk at (530) 671-0220 to check the status of your application.  You will be told whether or not your application is ACTIVE on the waiting list.  Since the waiting list is NOT organized by date and time, there is no way for the Housing Authority to provide you a "waiting list" number.
  6. What happens when my name is selected from the waiting list?
    You will receive a letter informing you that your name has been selected from the waiting list and that the Housing Authority is ready to begin the application process. You will be asked to complete a Personal Declaration Form and return it to our office along with various supporting documents.
  7. What happens if I do not receive the application appointment letter?
    It is important for you to inform the Housing Authority of all address changes while your name is on the waiting list. If you fail to respond because you did not receive the letter or if the letter is returned as "undeliverable", the Housing Authority will proceed down the List and remove your name from the waiting list. If you have any changes, submit an Applicant Change Form within 10 days.
  8. After I submit my application, how long will it be until I receive housing assistance?
    It could take several weeks or months to process your application, verify your eligibility and issue you a Voucher for rental assistance. You can shorten the time it takes by promptly submitting all documentation requested by the Housing Authority and showing up at your appointments on time. 
  9. What happens when you issue my Voucher?
    When you are issued a Voucher for rental assistance, you must attend a Voucher Briefing. Briefings are held at the Housing Authority office. Staff will review the requirements of the program and provide valuable information to assist you in your housing search. 
  10. After I receive my Voucher and attend the Voucher Briefing, what do I do to begin receiving rental assistance?
    To begin receiving housing assistance, you must first do the following:
    • Find a unit you agree to rent from a landlord willing to participate in the Housing Choice  Voucher Program.
    • You and the landlord must sign a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) form and submit it to the Housing Authority.
    • If the rent is within the general limits of the Program, an inspection of the unit by the Housing Authority will be scheduled. The unit you select must pass a Housing Quality Standards inspection. The inspection will be scheduled within 5-10 business days from receipt of the RTA if the unit is vacant and ready to be inspected.
  11. How much will my rent be?
    Your portion of rent paid to the owner is be based on a formula established by HUD and cannot exceed 40% of your adjusted monthly income.
  12. What are Housing Quality Standards?
    Housing Quality Standards (HQS) are national minimum standards established by HUD to ensure that subsidized units are safe, decent and sanitary. The unit must pass the HQS inspection before your rent subsidy can begin. HQS include requirements such as all utilities (gas, electric, water) must be working, windows and doors must have locks that work, all plumbing fixtures must work and there are no leaks, and the unit is in good condition overall.
  13. Does the Housing Authority pay my rental assistance to me or the property owner?
    The Housing Authority pays rental assistance to the owner on the first business day of each month. You must also pay your share of the rent each month directly to the owner. Failure to do so may lead to your termination from the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
  14. What happens if my income or family composition changes after I begin receiving rental assistance?
    Whenever your income changes or you have a change in family composition (persons moving in or out of your household) you are required to report the change to the Housing Authority in writing within 10 business days using a Change Reporting Form. The Housing Authority will determine if and when a change in rent is required and you will be notified in writing.
  15. What happens if my unit needs repairs?
  16. You should notify the owner immediately if your unit is in need of a repair.
  17. How long can I remain in the Housing Choice Voucher Program?
    Current program rules allow you to continue to receive housing assistance as long as you are income-eligible and as long as you fulfill your tenant obligations established by HUD for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. You will lose your assistance when your income rises to the point that your portion of the rent matches or exceeds the full amount of the rent, or if you are terminated from the Program for violating the rules.
  18. What if I want to move at the end of my lease?
    Before you can move to another unit and continue to receive your housing assistance, you must complete your tenant obligations under your current lease. This includes giving the property owner a proper notice to vacate, and sending a copy of the notice to your Housing Specialist.
  19. What if the owner wants me to move?
    If you are a Housing Choice Voucher participant, your owner may request that you move at the end of your lease term. If you receive a written notice to move, call your Housing Specialist who will advise you on the steps needed for you to move. It is very important for you to fulfill your lease obligations and pay your rent on time each month. If you violate any of your lease provisions, the owner may serve a notice for a lease violation(s), in which case you may no longer be eligible for the Program. Contact your Housing Specialist as soon as you receive any written notice from your landlord.

Because everyone deserves a home.